Who Is Ecca?

A certified Librat... a delightful treat... like a cup of coffee on a rainy early morning... a rush... a fix to the very late evening woes... Insomnia is her middle name... that's ECCA... by the way, she has this uncanny obsession for the Moon. Coffee+Moon... Why not?

Saturday, October 13, 2007

watching my favorite book

Neil Gaiman is my favorite author. Some friends of mine introduced me to his work one night we were on tour for a play we were doing. They had me read "Snow, Glass, Apples" from Smoke and Mirrors, and I got hooked. To this day, I still blame them for my addiction to Neil Gaiman literature. (curse you, yanny and rhem, we shouldve just focused on the beer!). Of course, years from now, friends of mine have helped me with my Gaiman addiction. Friend and superdirector Avid gave me a signed copy of Mr. Punch for my birthday (i had work the day Gaiman was here and i wasnt able to see him), and Empress showed me death and morpheus, and now im in love.

Death and Dreams aside, Stardust is my favorite Gaiman novel. I've always thought of it as magical, innocent, funny; a true journey for one who is in search for his heart's desire. Naturally, when the film came out, I made sure I would watch it as soon as i can. It is hard to watch your favorite book on film. Even though Gaiman produced it and had control over the screenplay (i think), I couldnt help but compare. Certain things were omitted, probably on purpose. Certain circumstances and characters were changed so it is very entertaining, and unpredictable, even for one who has read the book. Overall, i loved the film. the cast could not have been better. The special effects could have been better. The treatment of the film was sort of harry potter-ish, but it worked its magic. Robert de Nero's character is something to watch out for. All in all, i would recommend people to watch it. But, dont expect a lord-of-the-rings-grandeur. Remember, Its harry-potterish.

something to think about: Why do you think the term "heart's desire", was not mentioned in the film?

No comments: